Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Traditions - continued

Its 5 am and I couldn't sleep and thought I'd add a new post to this blog. Only 3 more days until Christmas.

Traditions are important for families and my joy has been in watching our children build their own traditions in their families. The memories of my childhood and growing up during the Christmas holidays hold some of the best times of my life. Hearing my Dad walking around the house on Christmas Eve saying "Have you been a good girl", or "Fee, Fi, Fo, Dum, I hear the sounds of Santa's sleigh" still echo in my mind.

One of the traditions I started as a single parent was to put my daughter to bed and then after would fall alseep I would go to her room door and shake bells to mimick Santa's bells. I would then wake her up and tell her Santa came and if she could hear the bells. My daughter would race out of bed to her Christmas Stocking with joy to see what Santa brought. Now I know this is a bit far-fetched, and eventually she figured it out, but having with Traditions and building your own is what family is alll about.

Christmas for my family is going to be a bit different than previous years. My wonderful husband and I decided to go to our place in Central Oregon for the holiday, sit outside under the covered deck with a cup of coffee and watch it snow. The holiday baking is done and the cookies have almost been destroyed so its time to make more cookies.

Many years ago, my mother introduced me to the final cookie that I make for the holidays. Its a Butter Rum Cookie that has another unique flavor and its best when eaten frozen. I know, I know, sounds pretty funny but some things are just better frozen and this cookie is one of those favorites I leave in the freezer and eat frozen. The tradition started when my mother was looking through some old magazines and found this diagonal shaped cookie. She would bake these and they would be gone in seconds. The glaze on top is made from a butter rum flavoring and powdered sugar giving this cookie just the right sweetness. I thought I'd only make one batch this year, but they disappeared so quickly I'm making another one.

Enjoy your family this holiday season and treasure every moment. If you don't already have a tradition specific to your family, now is the time to build a tradition giving your family wonderful memories throughout the years.

Butter Rum Cookies

1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons butter - room temperature
1 cup sweeted flaked coconut
3 drops yellow food coloring
3 cups flour
1 cup sugar

Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add coconut and cream a bit longer. Add the food coloring. Start working the flour into the dough until it is blended. This may take a while and you may have to use your hands to work in the last cup of flour. Once the dough sticks together, line your baking sheets with parchment paper.

Using your hands shape 3 long logs about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick for one baking sheet. Using your two forefingers, flatten the logs leaving a ridge where the two forefingers meet. This batch will make 5 logs. Bake at 375 degrees for about 10-15 minutes until the edges are lightly golden brown. While hot, spoon a glaze of 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon water and 2 drops butter rum flavoring. Spoon this over the logs and allow to cool another 5 minutes. With a sharp knife and while still warm, start cutting the logs into a 1 1/2 inch piece in a diagonal direction. After the logs cool completely, carefully remove the cut cookies onto a cooling rack. Freeze like I do or just eat them without freezing. Either way, they are good no matter whether frozen or room temperatur.

No comments:

Post a Comment