Wednesday, January 19, 2011

One year ago......

I've been trying to put off posting this month because of the events of one year ago. The losses are still raw and fresh, and I find myself thinking about both my parents quite a bit.

Last year, our family lost my mother on January 8th and then two weeks later to the day and almost the exact time, our family lost my father. Each one of my family has been dealing with these losses in their own fashion. Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's were bittersweet because this was the first year without the patriarchs of the family. In writing this post, I want to honor both parents and say that I learned much growing up.

My mom taught me how to sew, cook and clean. Most importantly, she taught me how to give 100% to my family and love them dearly. During her last days, she would repeatedly stated, "Your father and I tried to be good parents but we weren't perfect. We just loved our children." My father taught me how to chase cows, sheep, and goats (lol). Plus he taught me about passion and how much I emulate him by being stubborn. Yeah, Dad, you taught me that.

Anyway, knowing my parents loved me was important. I hope that when I'm gone, my children will know that I'm not the perfect parent, but I love my children and family.

Okay, so how do I follow-up this with a recipe? My mother made this awesome dessert called Apple Oatmeal bars because she didn't have any other name for it. The bars are technically called a "Brown Betty". I hope you enjoy these bars as much as our family.

Apple Oatmeal Bars

1 cup flour
1/2 salt
1 1/2 oatmeal
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon soda
1/2 cup butter

Mix the dry ingrediants together and cut in the butter until the mix resembles peas. Spread 1/2 of the mixture in a 9x9 square pan. Press to form a crust. Put aside.

2 1/2 to 3 cups sliced apples
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon cinnamon (remember I like cinnamon but you can cut this down if you like)

Pour on top of the crust and dot with 2 Tablespoons of butter. Complete the bars by pouring the rest of the dry mix on top of the apples.

Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes

Cut into squares and serve warm or cold. I usually serve the bars warm with a cinnamon flavored whipped cream (recipe follows).

Cinnamon flavored whipped cream.

1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Whip the cream until soft peaks form, then add the rest of the ingreadiants. Serve over the warm apple squares and watch the cream melt into the bars. The result is one yummy dessert you will enjoy any time of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment