Saturday, February 5, 2011

A different kind of anniversary

I have a different kind of anniversary coming up on February 10th. I tell this same story every year so my family doesn't forget the power of God's gracious gifts and prayers being answered.

In 1979 I lived in Lawton, Oklahoma. For some reason (another story for a later blog), I wasn't able to get pregnant and after being married for 7 years, we put in an application for an adoption of an older child. Being 32, I felt that my baby years were over but I still wanted a child. After about 2 1/2 years, I got a call on a Monday afternoon around 4 pm from the adoption agency. The caller announced we were getting a baby and we should pick the baby up on Wednesday around noonish. I kept telling myself to breathe....and yeah, the screaming started. I couldn't believe we were going to get a little baby girl. The called wanted to know if she should call back after I calmed down a bit and I empathically said, "NO", stay on the line. I started to ask questions, "boy or girl", "age?" "Weight?", etc. The panic started because I was going to have this newborn one month old baby girl live with us in 30 hours. How does one plan for an instant baby? Again panic mode set in and I cleaned house fervently and didn't sleep all Tuesday night. On Wednesday, we headed out on one of Oklahoma's worst snow and ice storms and drove to Tulsa.

The most beautiful baby came into my life. Talk about love at first sight!!!!! I had one box of disposable diapers, one can of formula and one blanket. This baby girl had only the clothes on her back and a baby rattle from her foster parent who took care of her from the day she was born. Her first night in my home, she slept in a dresser drawer. Who says you need all the fancy nursery stuff......

The 10th of February is this child's adoption anniversary and every year I tell her the same story. Only this year, I'm sharing it on my blog. So how does one segway into a recipe from all this??

Here's the recipe for this post.

Recipe name - God's blessings

1 person who loves the Lord beyond all else
1 person willing to seek God's will in their life
9 years of prayer
1 prospective mother's heart
1 longing mind for an older child but would still love a baby even more
Searching the scriptures daily
1 person willing to make the sacrifices for a child
1 person who is selfless

Accept God's gift of Jesus as your Savior. Nurture this gift through prayer and Scripture.
Let God do His work and wait until God is ready to give answers because God knows what's best for me. Once God gives the answer, mix all other ingrediants and continue to grow in God's love passing this love down to family and friends.

Okay, so this is a stretch, but you get the idea. God gave me the desires of my heart after 9 years of waiting to be a mother this child has blessed me in so many different ways. God knew the type of child I needed and when to give me this child. She is now a mother herself and she has an inner and outer beauty that comes from God.

Thanks God for your gift of children. (I now have a total of 9 children, 16 grandchildren and 3 great-grandchildren.) My quiver is full.

Proverbs 3:5&6

1 comment: