Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Dream the impossible.....Cookies????

I swear, my mother didn't throw anything away. Honestly!! She kept empty boxes in the hopes she would use them again "some" day. My dad wasn't much better because when I was going through their personal papers, I noticed their original bill of sale for the farm they lived on for 50 years. I also saw receipts from their wedding back from the 1940's, the first furniture they owned with copies of the payments plus the receipts for mom's china and fostoria.

That wasn't the only thing my parents were good at. Dad loved to travel and his dream was that one day they would go to Europe Europe and possibly visit some of the places their ancestors lived. So my parents started a savings account right after they were married and put away $25 per month every month in the hopes of going to Europe. On their 25th wedding anniversary, their dream came true because they had enough money saved up to pay for their dream trip. I admire them both for sticking to their dream and never letting it die or even using the money for emergencies.

Well, I have a dream of going back to Hawaii for our 20th Anniversary. So I came up with the idea to make cookies for the gun club my husband runs each week, and the money I get from my cookies will be used and saved for our trip to Hawaii. I'm dreaming big! Once a week, I send a basket of cookies to the club with my husband and he comes home a few days later with money I've actually earned from my cookie sales. So yeah, its not much, but I remember how my parents saved money for their dream trip and because of that, I'm confident (even though it will take a few years to get enough money for the trip) my husband and I will get the opportunity to celebrate our 20th anniversary in Hawaii.

I have a basic cookie recipe I use, but the one that is requested most is the Ranger Cookies I've tweaked to the way I like them and I guess others like them as well. I hope you enjoy them too.

Ranger Cookies

1 cup softened butter
1 cup brown sugar (I use dark brown because it gives the cookies a better taste)
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

Cream the above ingredients together until soft and fluffy.

2 eggs

Add one egg at a time and beat until fluffy.

2 cups flour
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup coconut
1 cup chocolate chips
2 cups Corn Flakes

Add the flour and mix this in before adding the other ingredients. Add all the other ingredients and mix well. Drop by spoon fulls onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 10-13 minutes until the center is light golden brown. This recipe makes about 2 dozen, but since I make them for the club, I use a regular sized ice cream scoop and make giant cookies. This batch will make 12 large cookies. If you want to double the recipe like I do, you will get 24 cookies.

Enjoy.....

No comments:

Post a Comment