Friday, July 22, 2011

How much do you love your spouse?

Do you love your spouse enough you'd give up your citizenship? My grandmother Anna Reimer did. I mentioned on Facebook I would be posting the story of my father's parents and how my grandfather came to the United States.

This post is a "teaser" to what will be written in later posts. My grandfather came to the United States from Russia when he was just 13 years old. He was not allowed to enter due to an illness and was sent home without his parents. When he finally got to America, he fell in love with Anna and they were married. Only one hitch.....she had to give up her citizenship for 6 months until my grandfather became naturalized. When he became a citizen, she got her status back.

This is definitely the short version of the story, and I will be posting the longer version in the weeks to follow.

One of the dishes my grandmother would make from the "Old World" was Keelka or something similar to spatzle. Here is the recipe for an old Menonite pasta favorite.

Keelka

3 eggs, beaten
1 cup water (cold)
1 teaspoon salt

Add enough flour to make a stiff dough, (manageable with stirring spoon). Then place a portion of dough on a saucer and cut off (into bite size pieces) over edge into a kettle of boiling water. Keep at a slow boiling point until all the dough has been cut. Boil 1 minute longer and drain.

Gravy - use ham or bacon pieces and fry in a skillet with 1 large size onion. When browned, add 1 cup of cream and heat but do not allow to boil because it will curdle. Add the Keelka and serve hot.

Enjoy....This will probably serve about 4-6 people as a side pasta dish.



No comments:

Post a Comment