Friday, December 2, 2011

Even Good cooks have a bad day!!!

Have you ever had one of those days when you go, "What was I thinking?" Sunday night I made cookies for the gun club as usual. I don't know whether it was because the time was the middle of the night, or I just "wasn't thinking," but I screwed up my own recipe. Looking back I just laugh at myself because even I make mistakes sometimes while cooking.

Even Good cooks have a bad day....

I made my original peanut butter cookies according to my own developed recipe because they are so good and I don't use a recipe book. I got to the flour mixture and I put in five cups of flour just like I usually do. The cookie dough didn't look quite right but I didn't think about it. After putting the cookies onto the cookie sheets to cook, I went to put the flour away.

Okay, so this is where the, "What was I thinking" part came in. I always keep a 1 cup measuring cup in the flour bin but when I got to looking at the cup, it said 3/4 cup. On no!!!! Instead of using 5 cups of flour I used 5 cups of 3/4 cup flour. No wonder the cookies looked different. Even my husband said they weren't as good as they normally were.

I immediately took the wrong sized measuring cup out of the bin and replaced it with the right size measuring cup. But I got to thinking, "Did I use the wrong amount of flour for my Thanksgiving rolls?" Or, "Was the last batch of cookies right???" Like I said before, I laugh at myself trying to figure out if I used the right measure of flour in the most recent items I've baked. You can imagine next time I make someting, I will make sure I use the right amount of flour and use the appropriate size cup for measuring.

This brings me to the recipe I'm going to share for this post. Christmas is right around the corner. Last year I shared some Mennonite German recipes. This year, I'm going to share my own original recipes I've developed over the years and the ones my family loves. This recipe does use only 3/4 cup of flour. (LOL)

Decadent orange brownies

1 cube butter melted
orange zest of two oranges, fresh
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon orange flavoring
2 eggs
3/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

Mix the above ingredients in the order they are listed and pour into an 8x8 square pan. Bake at 350 minutes until the brownies are slightly set. When cool, frost with an orange buttercream frosting, cut into squares and serve with ice cream.

Orange buttercream frosting

2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup softened butter
splash of cream milk or cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
zest of one orange
1 teaspoon orange flavoring
1/2 teaspoon vanilla flavoring

Mix together and add enough milk or cream to spreading consistency. These are so good and since I don't like chocolate sometimes, the freshness of the oranges make this a good holiday treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment