Wednesday, October 6, 2010

God's gift - Grandchildren

Two years ago, one of our daughters married the love of her life and had twins last year. With the holidays fast approaching, I wanted to wish this special couple Happy Anniversary and Mike and I are so blessed to have two more grandchildren.

Holidays can be a stressful time, but it can also be a time where families connect and share with each other. Even though Jeanne and Mark are in Washington DC several thousand miles away, I hope their family enjoys the holidays together. Mike and I miss those twins dearly and wish the family lived closer.

One of the things I enjoyed doing with another grandaughter, Aleshia, when her family visited so long ago was to make sugar cookes. These cookies are not your everyday sugar cookie. The recipie has been handed down from my grandmother to my family and now I'm sharing that recipie with you all. I remember making these cookies with my grandmother and somehow she would always pull them out of the freezer after a huge Thanksgiving meal and share them with family. These cookies would be the first of many Christmas cookies we would enjoy. I try to make them in time for Thanksgiving like my Grandmother but sometimes they get eaten before Christmas and I have to make more. This is a large dough batter so be prepared to make lots of cookies. Freeze them ahead so you can pull them out any time. There's nothing better than a cold frozen cookie. YUM.....

Grandma's sugar cookies

1 1/2 cups butter softened
3 cups sugar
2 eggs
Cream these ingrediants together until fluffy

Mix dry ingrediants together
5 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
5 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 cup milk

Mix the dry ingrediants alternately with 1/2 cup milk until the mixture is blended. Doug will be soft.

Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Roll the dough out to 1/4 inch and cut into your favorite shapes. Bake at 375 degrees until golden brown or about 10 minutes depending on the thickness of the cookie.

Frost with any type of butter cream icing or your favorite icing and sprinkle with colored sprinkles. This makes a lot of cookies so you can cut the recipie in half.

No comments:

Post a Comment