Friday, October 1, 2010

Hunting Season is Here Again

For those of us who have husbands who enjoy the sport of hunting, this is one of the big weekends when our spouses get together to play (aka hunt). Yes, my husband is one of those boys who likes to hunt. He related a story to me when he was younger he and a cousin talked his mother into letting the two boys have an adventure. The adventure was to be left out in the Mt. Hood wilderness for one week on their own at the age of 12 to fend for themselves. My husband and his cousin survived that weekend in the woods and my husband's mother picked my husband and his cousin up at the end of the week.

Surviving the hunting season for me or those wives left behind becomes interesting. I decided to spend some time in Central Oregon, and had the joy of getting together with all my sisters to celebrate a birthday. The sisters talked about cooking and I had a chance to let them know about my blog and I would be providing recipies in my blog.

Since having an adventure is on my mind, I decided to make another one of my original recipies. I hope you enjoy it as much as our community group has enjoyed it. Of course I had to make it when I got home from Central Oregon today.

Decadent Orange/Coconut brownies

1 cup softened butter
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
zest of one orange
2 teaspoons orange flavoring

Cream the above together and add 2 eggs. Continue to cream the ingrediants.

Add
1/2 salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup flour
1 1/2 cups coconut

Bake in a 8x8 square pan at 350 until lightly golden and the center is set - about 20-30 minutes.

Frost when cool:
1/2 cup butter softened
2 cups powdered sugar
zest of one orange
1 teaspoon orange flavoring
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
milk or cream to make it frosting consistency

Frost. Serve with French vanilla ice cream. This is soooo good.

No comments:

Post a Comment