Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Traditions - continued

I'm going to continue on the "Traditions" theme for the new few weeks because I feel it is important for our families to know where we come from and what types of traditions have been handed down from generation to generation.

I've talked a lot about my grandmother who gave up her citizenship for the love of her life. Her life was sprinkled with challenges as a young mother and farm wife. My grandmother kept a German diary and I still have excerpts of it in my history records. In fact my grandmother and grandfather spoke fluent "low" German known to Mennoites. During the growing up years my family didn't have very much money, however, my grandmother always fixed her favorite
Christmas foods during the holidays. She had such great stories of growing up, meeting her husband and the faith they shared.

One of those dishes that somehow appeared during the holidays was a raisin and prune dish. Its called Pluma Mousse (prounced Pluma Moss). I never liked it very much but my mother carried on the tradition of making this dish every Christmas even though she was the only one who ate it in our family. For those who love prunes and raisins, this dish is for you.

Pluma Mousse

1 cup prunes
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup canned milk or cream
3/4 cup raisins
3 heaping tablespoons flour
2 cups milk

Cook prunes in 3 cups of water until well done. Mash the prunes and add raisins plus 2 cups more water and cook a bit longer. Mix flour and sugar together, add cream and then mix everything together. Add 2 cups milk and bring to a boil. Add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 tablespoon vinegar which improves the flavor (at least that's what my grandmother would say). This recipe makes about 1/2 gallon and will last all season. It can be eaten cold or hot like soup.

After writing this recipe, I still don't really care for this dish but I'm sure someone will.

1 comment:

  1. I love Pluma Mousse! My mom would put some cinnamon in it. Mary Diestler

    ReplyDelete