Sunday, April 17, 2011

Gizmos, Gadgets, Crafts and a whole lot of fun!!!!

One of my daughters and I have a tradition of shopping together whenever we can. In fact, I like to help when asked for special occasions so this time, my daughter asked if I would go up to Puyallup and help prepare for our Grandson's first birthday. I thought we might be able to get a little bit of shopping in as well. Boy was I wrong.

My daughter had "this vision" for her son's birthday party and right away when I got to her house, she put me to work picking out all the green fruit loops from a HUGE bag of Fruit Loops. By the time I got done, it was time for bed. (We ended up not using them....lol) On to day two....I got up to find a "list" on the breakfast counter saying, "Have a cup of coffee first", then please do these things. All I could do was laugh because there were at least four to five things on the list. I was still chuckling even after the second cup of coffee.

To go along with "this vision", I brought some things from home I might need to make life a bit easier, i.e. disposable piping bags, apple corer, piping tips and a few other gizmos and gadgets. I have a weakness for gizmos and gadgets and when I find one I think will be cool to own, I make sure I can use that gizmo or gadget for at least one or two other things (at least I can justify the expense that way.) I couldn't even imagine what kind of crafts my daughter had in mind for this special party. We laughed together through making the marshmallow trees to mud puddles to elephant food to other unique things for the party.

After making a six inch two layer cake, my daughter and I made 18 cupcakes. I said, "why don't we fill them and make them cuter". So I took my cool gizmo apple corer and used it to take out the centers of the cupcakes to fill. I then thought about what kind of filling to put into the cupcakes and came up with my Mom's recipe for a quick chocolate slurry filling that she used quite a bit when I was growing up. My mother passed away last year and wasn't able to meet her grandson, but I thought this was a cool way for us all to remember her by. My mother and father would have been married 66 years on my grandson's birthday. So the recipe I'm sharing is my mother's chocolate filling. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

I'm sure my daughter will be posting pictures of all her cute ideas so be sure to check her blog often for the new post of the big birthday bash.

Mom Reimer's chocolate filling

1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 squares unsweetened chocolate (you can used unsweetened cocoa powder, but you'll need to increase the butter to 2 tablespoons butter and 1/3 cup cocoa powder)
2/3 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt

Mix the above ingredients together and cook over low heat melting the chocolate. Once the chocolate is melted, turn up the heat to medium high and be sure to stir and sauce as it thickens. It will thicken quickly and bind together like an icing. Once it thickens like icing, take off the heat. Be careful not to burn the chocolate either.

Add 1 tablespoon softened butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla.

Mix this together quickly and you're ready to use the icing. Use the icing while it is hot. Don't cook it down. This is enough to spread between two layers or fill 18 cupcakes. I put the icing in a piping bag to fill the cupcakes because it was easier to control the filling.

Ice your cake or cupcakes with your favorite buttercream icing. You can buy a can, but if you know me, I always make my icings from scratch.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment