Monday, August 29, 2011

Back to school in style....(I think)

Okay, so its back to school next week for Oregon residents even though some schools actually started this week. What types of memories do you have of going back to school or what have you done to make going back to school memorable for your kids?

With 6 children in school, my mother had enough trouble just getting everyone ready and out the door for school let alone having time to make any memories.

As a single parent, going back to school for my one daughter was an important ritual I started when she was only 5 years old. To prepare for the big day, I'd always take her shopping a few weeks before school started getting those precious styles "just right". My daughter back then even at 5 years old knew what her style would be and the deal was that if she didn't wear her new clothes within 2 weeks, they would go back to the store. Of course after the first week of school, she knew exactly what styles were in or out. This one daughter remains my fashionista expert to date and helps me decide what's in or out when we go shopping. We laugh a lot and have a system of trying on clothes that would make most people laugh!

After shopping, we would go on one last camping trip together, go to the beach and Mo's, go up to Silver Creek Falls one more time and of course go visit Grandma and Grandpa on the farm. The first day of school would be spent getting ready and then standing outside in front of the door getting her "first school day picture". This was a ritual that happened every year until High School and even then, I would make anyone who was going back to school get their picture taken. I know the kids got tired or it, but I still made them do it.

One more memory I would try to make for my daughter was to take her out for breakfast where she and I would share a large cinnamon roll and slices of bacon with milk and orange juice. During those breakfasts, we would talk about life, boys, and expectations of school. I smile remembering all those first days of school and special breakfasts together.

If you want to treat your family to some "quick" cinnamon rolls that are easy and simple, follow this recipe. Take time to make some memories with your children as they go back to school.

Simple quick cinnamon rolls

1 box of puff pastry
1/2 cup brown sugar per sheet of pastry.
2 tablespoons of softened butter for each sheet of pastry.
1 teaspoon cinnamon for each sheet of pastry.

Follow the directions on the puff pastry box making sure to keep the pastry cold as you work. Roll out the dough just a bit and spread with the butter, brown sugar and sprinkle the cinnamon on top. Roll the long end of the sheet and cut the roll into 6 cinnamon rolls. Place on parchment paper on a baking sheet and back again according to the box of pastry sheets until the tops are golden brown.

Each sheet of pastry will equal 6 cinnamon rolls. Frost with your favorite buttercream of eat them without. These rolls are light and airy and so full of good layers of buttery goodness.


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Mom!! I remember those mornings before school at 'Chelseas' getting hot chocolate and talking about school. I don't think you took pictures of us in highschool..but I do remember pictures taken through elementary school! Mom--thank you for those traditions you made and I cannot wait to make those memories with Jonah. I love you Mom and the fashionista you've allowed me to be with you. :)

    ReplyDelete