Monday, August 15, 2011

What is age? "Happy Birthday to you."

Okay, so I had a birthday yesterday and am one year older. In honor of my birthday, I decided to delay the story of my grandfather a few more weeks and give out another recipe and memory of growing up on the farm.

What is age???

* Age is something God has given us
* Age - is better than the alternative (lol)
* Age doesn't dictate how we really feel inside (My hair looks younger than I am)
* Age is not something to be afraid of (embrace it....maybe - I still remember turning 40
* Age is something we can laugh about or not
* Age is something to be proud of, you've earned it
* Age is to be celebrated with those you love

So, on August 14, 1949, my mother relates she had been picking and canning peaches on the day of my birth and my father had been in the field working with his father on the summer harvest. Mom related she had labor pains and they decided to head to the hospital where I was born. Of course I remember being born.....Not!

Birthdays my house growing up were quiet. We didn't have a lot of money, but there was always a gift or card and of course the ever present birthday cake.

After having a child come into my world, I wanted her birthdays to be special and I would try to make each birthday memorable. One birthday, I had a clown come to my home with a bunch of balloons. Another birthday, I made sure family celebrated with a big party.

When I remarried, I drove all the kids nuts by singing "Happy Birthday" to them all day - many times a day. This means I would sing multiple times until they would go, "Mom, STOP!!!! Alright, already." Every year, it would be the same thing. So now when all my children are gone, I get these goofy phone calls with my kids singing back to me, you guessed it, "Happy Birthday". What special memories it brings and of course, I smile.

So do I still sing all day long to my family and kids??? Wellllll......Yes, in some form,the "Happy Birthday" song shows up in emails, texts, and even phone calls. I think the kids secretly still love to hear that goofy song on their birthday.

On my birthday, I usually make my own cake and yesterday was Sunday. As many of you know, I usually make something for our church crew for their breakfast. I made my famous cinnamon scones (this recipe was given out in a previous post), and one of my own creations, a spicy Cinnamon applesauce/Walnut cake with an icing made with cream, vanilla and maple. So without further ado....

....Happy Birthday to you....Happy Birthday to you....Happy Birthday to Everyone....Happy Birthday to you...Do This about 10 times and you'll know what my family sent through.

Spicy Cinnamon Applesauce/Walnut Cake

1 cup butter softened
2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups flour
2 cups unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup ground walnuts and 1 cup chopped walnuts
2 Tablespoons cinnamon

Cream the first two ingredients and then add the eggs, one at a time, followed by the salt, baking powder, soda and cinnamon. Gradually mix in the flour with the applesauce, starting with the flour and ending with the applesauce. Fold in the ground nuts and chopped nuts. Pour into a bundt pan and bake at 350 degrees until the cake is done. This takes about 30-40 minutes.

Icing
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon maple flavoring
1/4 cup cream

Mix all items together and pour the icing over the cooled cake.

Enjoy....Happy Birthday to you....Happy Birthday to you....Happy Birthday to Everyone....Happy Birthday to you...




No comments:

Post a Comment