Saturday, November 19, 2011

Kids Table

When I was a small girl, family get-togethers was routine. My family celebrated everything together from birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, or just eating together as a family. There were so many little cousins - of course there was the infamous "Kid's Table". Anyone under the age of 14 sat at the kids table.

If I count correctly, at one time there were about 10 of us sitting at the kid's table. We'd do more laughing than eating and there would never be enough food on the table so we'd have to go to the "Grown-up's Table" to refill our plates. I think we had more fun going to the grown-up table getting food than sitting at our own. Nothing changed though when it came to manners. We had to ask, "May I be excused?" when we wanted to get up from the table. Back in those days, we had to be polite and sit at the table and chat for awhile before getting excused. I never could understand that principle until I got older. It's called manners.

I was so excited when I graduated to the grown-up table, but in my mind's eye, I still secretely wanted to be seated at the kid's table having more fun than the grown-ups.

Fast forward 35 years and I hear my daughters talk about their fun times at their own "Kid's table". Some things don't change where kids' tables are concerned. When my daughters talk about their time spent at the infamous table, they relate they did so much laughing they couldn't eat. Sounds so familiar!!!

My advice to parents and kids alike - Parents, enjoy your adult time and Kids, enjoy the laughter and memories made during family dinners at the infamous "Kid's Table."

Sitting at the kid's table and not being excused until dessert felt like forever to me as a kid. When dessert was served, we'd all go to the grown up's table and ask to be excused. My recipe is for dessert and one I've simplified over the years. Even if you can't cook, you can still make this simple dessert and still get compliments for "Best Dessert Ever".

Chocolate Cream Pie

1 large box of chocolate cook and serve pudding mix
2 cups milk
1 cup cream
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vamilla

Heat oven to 425 degrees.
Purchase a pie crust and bake shell until lightly golden. Remove and cool. In the meantime, make pudding mix according to directions except for the ingredients. Let stand for 5 minutes stirring at least twice. Pour into pie shell and refrigerate until cold.

Top with real whipped cream - 1 cup cream whipped until soft peaks. Add 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Spoon over pie and cut into wedges and serve. Make sure there is enough for those who are at the "Kid's table."





No comments:

Post a Comment