Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Marriage "check-up"

Recently my husband and I sat down to actually communicate about our relationship. He wanted to know if I knew anyone who had a "happy" marriage. So we talked about several couples we know whom we thought had a "real" marriage....happy with all the ups and downs a marriage poses plus stay committed and in love.

During this conversation my husband asked me, "Name a few things you think are important in a good marriage." My husband actually asked me my opinion on my thoughts. I thought was special because sometimes in the hustle and bustle of life, we sometimes forget to communicate. Here's the list I came up with:

Faith
Commitment
Communication
Love
Communication
Quality Time
Respect
Laughter

Hearing my husband seek my opinion about the health of our marriage is one of the things I love about him. Twenty one years ago, I almost threw a relationship with this man away. In my opinion, I didn't think there were any good marriages and I saw so many friends who stayed married even though they were not happy.

My husband had the patience of Job back then and stuck with me until God made me see what good husband material he really was. I'm so thankful God destroyed the walls I had in place to protect myself. Not only did God tear down those protective walls but He allowed me to fall in love. Although we've had our ups and downs, the love God gave to us is stronger than it has ever been. I still get butterflies and smile when I see my husband or even think of him. Thanks God for allowing me to share my life with a Godly man who loves me for who I am.

The recipe is simple this time around. It's a recipe for a healthy marriage.

Two who share a commitment to our Savior, Jesus Christ
Two who share laughter
Two who communicate and are committed to each other
Two who pray together
Two who respect each other and don't put each other down in public or even in private
Two who find time to spend quality time together

When was the last time you had a "check-up" of your marriage or relationship with a significant other?

Proverbs 31



No comments:

Post a Comment