Sunday, February 19, 2012

What did my grandmother, and mother think?

I just spent four days watching my grandson, Jonah in Washington State while his mommy went to visit his daddy at a school in Philadelphia.

How does one keep up with an almost two year old? I don't know how I did it, but I did!! Watching Jonah play for the few days I was with him made me start thinking. What did my grandmother think of me when I was little, or did my own mother have the same thoughts as I did while watching my own little girl.

When my mother and father went away for the night, my siblings and I would stay at my Grandma's house. I remember her as always stern but her food was good and she made us feel at home and we enjoyed being at her house. Did she think we were cute while we played or pretended in games? One day I will know what she thought as I see her in heaven and ask all those questions I wanted to ask long ago.

My own mother watched my daughter while I attended undergraduate school. I know from talking to my daughter my mother taught her how to count change and shop in a grocery store. I know there were many other things my mother taught her grand- daughter but how did my mother feel watching my daughter pretend and play games? Did she have the same feelings as I did watching Jonah? Again, these are things I may ask my mother once I get to heaven.

What made the biggest impression the last few days - is loving my grandson is easy and watching him play, jabber, and just all around jump around with his toys, playing with the bouncy balls, and other antics - this all made me smile. What made me smile the most was at night I would read to him and then sing "Jesus Loves Me this I know." When I sung to him, he would close eyes and just cuddle. Nothing better than those cuddles.

God has so blessed us with children who have children and watching all these children grow is precious as an adult. One we need to cherish and hold true to our families. I thank God he has blessed me with so many grandchildren and even though some of those grandchildren live in different cities, I love each one with tenderness and the hope each child will grow in God's love and accept the wonderful gift he has in His son, Jesus Christ.

In keeping with a recent posting, I did something new for this grandson. I made him a peanut butter sandwich for the first time in his life and he loved it. So here is a ramped up version of a grilled PBJ sandwich. If you've never tried this, you need to try it at least once.

Grilled PBJ

2 slices any type of bread
Peanut butter
jam of your choice
butter

Spread one side of your bread with peanut butter and place in a skillet with a bit of melted butter in it. Top with the other slice of bread that has been spread with jam. Brown one side at a time. When you get ready to turn the sandwich, melt a bit more butter in the pan and flip the sandwich. Eat hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment